CEA
HPC Calcul haute performance
HomeComputing centersSoftware for HPCResearch and developmentCollaborations
 
Computing centers / Summary

Exceptional computing facilities

 

The scientific computing complex at the CEA facility in Bruyères-le-Châtel (DAM/Île de France) hosts one of Europe’s largest high-performance computing facilities, used for defence, industrial and research applications.




It houses the large infrastructure operated by CEA DAM specifically for defence-related programmes, featuring the Atos/Bull Tera1000-1 supercomputer (with a processing power of 2.5 petaflops), which will be joined in 2017 by the 25-petaflop Tera1000-2.
The centre’s unrestricted area also hosts two large infrastructures as part of the CEA’s TGCC (Très Grand Centre de Calcul) facility. The first of these serves the needs of the European academic research community. At its core is the Atos/Bull Curie petascale supercomputer; 80% of this machine’s CPU time is provided to European research organisations under the Partnership for Advanced Computing in Europe (PRACE) programme, with the remaining 20% reserved for French research labs, via a civil society named GENCI. The second large infrastructure, designed to serve industry, is supported by the CEA’s Research and Technology Computing Centre (CCRT), which hosts the Atos/Bull Airain petascale supercomputer used by industrial partners and CEA laboratories. Curie and Airain are scheduled to be replaced by Atos/Bull Tera1000 systems within the next year.

Supercalculateur Curie. © CEA/P. Stroppa Supercalculateur Airain. © CEA/P. Stroppa
Curie and Airain supercomputers, TGCC. © CEA / P. Stroppa

These operational computing centres are supported by a technological experimentation and expertise cluster, which provides the research and development expertise crucial to managing the complexity of large computing infrastructures.
 

The resulting computing complex is part of a broader effort to build a high-performance computing ecosystem. In keeping with this strategy, the CEA set up Ter@tec, an organisation that now has more than 80 industrial and academic partners.

Ter@tec © CEA/P. Stroppa 
Ter@tec © CEA / P. Stroppa